Get Into Gear is preloved (i.e., used) baby and kid clothing – and that means not every piece is in mint condition. Find out how we size and categorize our items below.
We list items using information provided by the manufacturer – so If pants are listed as a 2T, we put them in the 2T category. When manufacturers don’t use standard North American sizes, we make every effort to “translate” the size for you and place it in our appropriate category. If there is no size tag on an item, we compare it to items of a well-known brand to give you an idea of size/fit.
The actual tag size will be listed with each item to help you make an informed decision about an item’s fit. For example, an item with a tag size of “3X” will be included in the 3T category.
We have grouped clothing according to standard North American sizing, using the following categories:
- Preemie (up to 7 pounds, or apprx. 3-6 pounds)
- Newborn (some brands call this “Up to 1 month”)
- 0-3 Months & 3 Months
- 3-6 Months & 6 Months
- 6-12 Months & 12 Months (includes 6-9 and 9-12 months, and items marked “1 year”)
- 12-18 Months & 18 Months
- 18-24 Months & 24 Months
- 3T (includes 3X)
Notes about sizing:
- Manufacturers use different standard measurements and weights for their sizing. Carter’s “24 months” fits differently than a Baby Gap “18-24 months”, which will be different from a Gymboree “18-24 months”. Please refer to manufacturer size charts if you have questions about how certain brands fit.
- Some brands have a separate size for 6-9 months and 9-12 months. We use 6-12/12 Months as our category. Refer to each item’s listing for its actual tag size.
- Items with a size range (e.g., a dress labelled “4-5 years”) will be included in both size categories (e.g., 4T, 5T).
Most of the items on this website are not new. We use standard buy-and-sell language to describe our items and provide you with as much information as possible so you can decide whether you want to purchase an item. We know you don’t want any surprises!
In general, Get Into Gear sells clothing that is in Excellent Used Condition (EUC) or Very Good Used Condition (VGUC) only. These items may be indistinguishable from new (Like-new or EUC) or showing only very slight signs that they’ve been washed and worn before (VGUC). It is rare that we’ll list an item with stains or marks of any kind (and they’ll be noted in the description if we do). We check things like whether elastics are still stretchy and whether all buttons are still attached before we list an item. The exception is our Grab Bags, which are play clothes in Good Used Condition (GUC) or “play” condition sold as-is for a steep discount.
Here’s how we interpret the acronyms:
- BNWT: Brand new with tags. Never washed or worn.
- EUC: Excellent Used Condition. Item has been washed and/or worn but isn’t showing any signs of wear (such as pilling or fading). Colours and elastics are strong.
- VGUC: Very Good Used Condition. Item is showing some signs of wear - slight fading, cracked decals, or the surface may be a bit fuzzy from washing. We will also list an item as VGUC when it has a name on the tag or a loose thread here and there. These items aren’t your Sunday best, but they’re still wearable and presentable.
- GUC: Good Used Condition. Clothing is wearable but may have some staining around the collar or bib area, fading at the seams or having significant pilling (wash wear), missing graphics or threadbare knees. GUC items may end up in Grab Bags but are not sold on the main site.
- Grab Bag items are in “play” condition. They have been well loved but aren't quite ready for retirement yet. This means they might have staining, holes or significant pilling and fading (or maybe someone washed a white bodysuit with the red laundry – hey, it happens!) Perfect for making mud pies, keeping in the car or for craft days at daycare. Because these items are sold as-is at a very low price, grab bags are final sale.
If you feel we misrepresented an item’s condition, please get in touch and we will work with you to find a resolution. Please see our Shipping and Returns section for more details.